Monday 21 March 2011

Lady Taverners Auction

Lady Taverners Spring Auction
London 2011


"The Herb Picker"
 From my book
" How to Paint Colour and Light in Watercolour "

Last week I organised the delivery of books to be signed along with cards of the above painting "The Herb Picker" from my first book " How to Paint Colour and Light in Watercolour" to the head office of the Lady Taverners in preparation for the Spring Lunch event in London today. The original painting was also collected and taken for the auction.

The lunch will take place at the Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington attended by guests and Lady Taverners from all over UK as today is the National  General Meeting of the charity organisation. I will be attending with the President of the SWA, Society of Women  Artists, Barbara Penketh Simpson.

The ballroom will be beautifully decorated as always for these occasions and  I will be signing books before the lunch takes place

This particular painting has been a firm favourite of mine ever since the day it was first painted. As an example of watercolour it has become a terrific teaching aid as it covers so much in technique when studied. It has sections left to the imagination, enough detail to tell the story but not too much to create fuss.There are effects from splattering contrasting with directional  brushwork and the composition is pleasing. It also has a very light feel to it and invites the viewer to consider the story behind the piece.Where is the lady looking and why.

Parting with paintings is often difficult. I could never have sold this one in a gallery as several people wanted it. To donate it along with cards printed of the same design to help raise funds for special children via the Lady Taverners of which I am a full member to me is a far more rewarding way  of saying goodbye to a favourite piece.

Having sent all the books,cards and this painting up to London in time to be displayed well in advance all I need to do now is decide what to wear. I had best get off my computer!
***********************






1 comment:

Sandra Busby said...

This is so beautiful. I have the book and next the CD!